The Deer Lakes Board of School Directors consists of nine (9) individuals who are elected at large by the citizens of East Deer, Frazer and West Deer townships. School Board members are both state and local officials. Though elected locally, they serve on behalf of the Pennsylvania state legislature. Each director serves without compensation for a term of four (4) years.
The Board of School Directors' primary responsibilities include:
- Provide for the education of all children
- Set district policies and regulations regarding school activities
- Adopt textbooks
- Hire a superintendent, principals, teachers, and other staff
- Adopt an annual school district budget
- Levy taxes
• If you are a homeowner in our school district who has not completed a Homestead/Farmstead application, we encourage you to do so. If you have previously completed an application, you do not need to so again. Homeowners who completed their application will see a sizable reduction on their school property tax bill.
• School Board meetings are typically the held in the Deer Lakes High School library at 7 p.m. on the second (agenda meetings) and third (voting meetings) Tuesday of each month. However, meetings are subject to change with proper public notification. Please check this page for the most up-to-date information on our school board meetings.
• The Deer Lakes Board of School Directors encourages all community members to attend its meetings and to make public comments at those meetings.
Comments at the beginning of committee and regular meetings will be accepted on agenda items only, and there will be an opportunity to address the board at the end of the meeting on non-agenda items.
Speakers will have two minutes to address the board and must preface their comments with their name and address. Topics for remarks at any school board meeting should be directed toward school operations or school programs. Complaints about school personnel or comments that may implicate a potential disciplinary response will not be discussed at public sessions.
Non-residents who wish to address the board can do so by submitting a request form prior to the meeting, which can be obtained at the District’s Administration Building. Please click here to see the Board policy associated with Public Participation in Board Meetings.
• You can now contact the Deer Lakes Board of School Directors via email. The Board requests that all correspondence, whether by email or traditional mail, include the sender’s name, address and phone number.